The Wiener Philharmonic

The official blog for sketch comedy group the Wiener Philharmonic, aka "the Wieners" aka "Wiens" aka "your nuts" aka "you're nuts." Come see us perform!

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Science: officially better than food?

Everyone knows my heart belongs to the Dining section of the times, and that my pulse skips a beat every time I hear Frank Bruni's huge Shakespearean collar ruffle in a truffle-fart wind. Usually I am inconsolable until Wednesday, when there ol' Frank will be, peddling adverbs from inside his brocaded chamber robe.

But can I PLEASE alert you to this SECTION of the NEWSPAPER???? Literally the Science Times has the AWESOMEST headlines/bylines. please listen to this pressing NEWS:

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Amygdala: Word as Earworm
By JAMES GORMAN
Can a word be an earworm, a tune that lodges itself in the brain and will not be moved?

me: I NEED TO KNOW!! I'VE ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THAT!

Is It Dutch? Japanese? Why Not Ask the Rat?
By NICHOLAS BAKALAR
A team of Spanish neuroscientists has shown that a well-trained rat may be able to determine what language you are speaking.

me: ARE YOU SHITTING ME?? THAT HAS HUGE IMPLICATIONS FOR PET-OWNERS!!!!!!!

Plague Ants, Plantains and Scorched Plantations
By CARL ZIMMER
An entomologist believes that he has solved a 487-year-old ecological mystery regarding ants and the island of Hispaniola.

me: WHAT WAS THE MYSTERY?? WAS IT A CRIME? DID ANTS DO IT?? WHERE IS THE ISLE OF HISPANIOLA???

Blasting Into the Core of a Comet to Learn Its Secrets
By WARREN E. LEARY
This week, NASA is to launch a spacecraft called Deep Impact, hoping to smash into a comet's nucleus at 23,000 miles per hour.

me: REALLLLLLLLLY?????? THAT'S SO FUCKING INTENSE!!! 23,000 MPH?

The Secret Lives of Just About Everybody
By BENEDICT CAREY
Psychologists say that most normal adults are well equipped to start a secret life and that keeping a secret is a key to healthy development.

me: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????? THE NEWS IS THAT I SHOULD START A SECRET LIFE? THIS IS THE BEST NEWS! MAYBE I WILL GO TO HISPANIOLA!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

[jules looks right, then left, screaming at top of lungs, hurtles self out office window]

I love you, science.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home